Monday, May 31, 2010

Openvpn 2.1.1 Not Connecting

One of the services that I offer for a company is a VPN. I use the OpenVPN distribution that comes in the FreeBSD ports collection.

I have mine configured as a tunnel device which authenticates over RSA keys. Once the user is connected, I allow them access to port 139 which gives SMB shares mapped from a linksys NAS RAID device. It's a pretty slick service and very stable.

Until today!

Today, none of my clients could connect, and I was curious about why this had happened. After running a port upgrade, I had not manually restarted all of my services, and it wasn't until this weekend, when the server was rebooted that openvpn 2.1.1 was initialized (previously 2.0.9 was installed).

There was no immediate reason as to why openvpn wouldn't work except for a line which said that --script-security 2 was supposed to be in the openvpn command line if it were to execute client scripts. I added the line in rc.conf as openvpn_flags="--script-security 2", restarted the service, and now it works perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment